Land Use Update – January 2017 Meeting
January 10, 2017 • Land Use Update
The MKNA Land Use Committee met on Monday, January 9, 2017 to hear several cases. As promised, the committee is sharing the information that was provided at the meeting for neighbors who were unable to attend.
4565 N. College Ave. (Next Door Community Pub)
Petitioner: Gershman Partners by Eric Gershman
Petitioner is seeking input from the Land Use Committee on their proposed redevelopment of the former Double 8 Foods at 4564 N. College Ave. The project would include restoring the existing building to house Next Door Community Pub. A partial rezone of the property is required, along with variances of use. Petitioner presented their project and is seeking input from neighbors and the land use committee.
The proposal presented by Gershman is available Here.
Petitioner will be formalizing their filing with the City and will return to the MKNA committee in February to allow more comment and input from neighbors and the committee.
27 East 39th Street (The Sapling School)
Petitioner: Arthur A and Sharon J Cope, by David and Justin Kingen City Petition: 2016-CZN-836 / 2016-CVR-836
The Copes have applied to rezone 0.21 acres from the D-8 district to the C-S classification to provide for D-8, C-1 and SU-2 uses. The intended use of the property is a Reggio Emilia preschool (The Sapling School). They have also applied for variances of development standards of the Consolidated Zoning and Subdivision Ordinance to provide for:
- Six parking spaces (12 parking spaces required) with maneuvering in the right-of- way (not permitted),
- With zero-foot west and two–foot east transitional side setbacks (10-foot transitional setback required),
- With a zero-foot rear setback (10-foot rear setback required),
- With less than 40% building transparency on the north and west elevations (not permitted),
- With vehicle access from 39th street (not permitted for lots with 200 feet of street frontage or less), and
- A sign with a six-foot front setback (15-foot front setback required) and a 40-footeast side yard (50 feet required).
Additional details provided by the petitioner can be found here.
MKNA Board will vote on this case at their next meeting. Public Hearing in front of the MDC Hearing Examiner is scheduled for January 26, 2017 at 1pm in the City County Building, Public Assembly Room. All interested neighbors are encouraged to attend the hearing and offer comments to the Hearing Examiner.
1/17/17 UPDATE: The MKNA Board voted to SUPPORT this petition. All interested neighbors are encouraged to attend the hearing on January 26th at 1pm where public comments will be heard.
5897 N. College Avenue (Vine & Table Gourmet Market)
Petitioner: Kessler Boulevard Investments, by David Kingen and Justin Kingen
City Petition: 2016-DV2-040
Petitioner has applied for variances of development standards of the Consolidated Zoning and Subdivision Ordinance to provide for:
- A liquor store (wine only), within two feet of a protected district (100-foot separation required),
- For the liquor store, a two-foot east side transitional setback and four-foot south side transitional setback and a trash container, with a zero-foot east side transitional setback (10-foot side transitional yard required).
As part of the application, the Petitioner commits to the following:
- The building will be open for business only between the hours of 10 am to 9 pm Monday through Thursday; 10 am to 10 pm, Fridays and Saturdays; if in the future such stores are permitted to be open on Sundays, the hours will be 11 am to 7 pm.
- The variance shall be valid only as long as the premises are occupied by a Vine and Table facility.
- No free-standing signs shall be located on the premises as long as the property is occupied by a Vine and Table facility
** We have requested copies of materials presented and will post when available.
1/17/17 UPDATE: Materials presented and updated commitments available here.
MKNA Board will discuss this case at their next meeting. Public Hearing in front of the City’s Board of Zoning Appeals is scheduled for February 14, 2017 at 1pm in the City County Building, Public Assembly Room. All interested neighbors are encouraged to attend the hearing and offer comments to the Board of Zoning Appeals.