Are you in danger?
The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department has three distinct ways in which you, a private citizen, can contact them about in progress crimes that threaten your safety, issues related to safety in which your life is a risk, and traffic issues.
When to call 9-1-1:
- ALL fire-related issues
- ALL issues that require an ambulance and/or immediate medical attention
- Reckless/suspected drunk and impaired drivers (attempt to get license plate information and details of car and driver)
- In-progress physical altercations
- Trespassers on your private property
- All motor-vehicle accidents no matter how small or large the damage
- Shots fired
- Audible calls for help from others
- Suicidal or welfare checks
When to call 3-1-1:
- Fireworks after hours
- Loud music and parties after hours
- Issues with animals including domestic and wild animals
- Lost/stolen property (after its been discovered missing)
- Parking violations (on sidewalks, wrong direction on the street, parked on private property, etc.)
- Juvenile runaway reports
- Identify theft and fraud reports
- Delayed reports
Reporting Traffic Issues:
If the issue you’d like to report is not an motor vehicle accident nor related to parking, please click here to learn more about how to submit a traffic complaint.