I am looking to have a large landscaping or construction project on my private property. What should I know about undertaking a large-scale project in Meridian-Kessler?


You or your licensed contractor should contact Business and Neighborhood Services (BNS) and apply for any necessary permits as most projects will require permits. The permit review and approval process takes more than 4 weeks, so plan in advance. During the permit review process, BNS will determine if your project needs a variance. Variances are exceptions to the Ordinance made by the Department of Metropolitan Development (DMD) and require that a petition be filed, fees be paid, and hearing be attended.

All requests for variances are heard by the MKNA Land Use Committee prior to being heard by the DMD Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA). All variance petitions are not granted, but are voted during the hearing process. For more information on the Land Use Committee process, email info@mkna.org.

In the event that any digging or excavation will happen on the property, it is required that all utilities be marked. The best way to have all utilities marked is by visiting Indiana811.org or dialing 8-1-1 to schedule an appointment.

If you’re unsure of where your property line is, you will need to hire a private surveyor to establish the exact property boundaries.

Recent Posts

Start typing and press Enter to search